Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Practice Day on the Occoquan Reservoir

On Tuesday we headed out on the Occoquan Reservoir form Fountainhead Regional Park.

We paddled to an area we call fall out of your boat cove. It has a gravel slope going into the water up to about chest deep. This makes an excellent area to stand and help people with their balance brace and such.

We feel that you should take a day every few weeks to just spend time practicing paddle strokes and braces and rescues. Tuesday was a perfect day for it. It was overcast and about 64 degrees when we got on the water. The water temperature was 56 degrees so not too cold to hang out in a drysuit.

We enjoy the calm waters of the reservoir.



We played around with strokes on the way to the cove and while I was goofing around I went over. At this point I discovered that I could not roll with my pogies. The pogie on the sweep hand takes in water at the cuff causing drag and stalling my roll. First time I tried to roll while wearing pogies. You learn things about your equipment when you take a practice day. My wife was kind enough to give me an assisted rescue.


After this we made it over to the cove. I was not wearing my neoprene cap and got a little brain freeze while hanging upside down under my boat. Dress for the water!

Then once at the cove we both spent time in and out of our boats playing around.


It was an excellent few hour on the water.


No comments:

Post a Comment