Friday, January 23, 2015

Trail Sites on the internet and tracking apps for your Smart Phone

Several years ago I started using Wikiloc to save my GPS tracks. Then later I created an EveryTrail account but did not use it much. I returned to it recently and found the interface improved and it had the guide creation feature. I really started using it and moved all my tracks over to the site. It has now been down for a week. This really sucks because I have started using my smart phone and BackCountry Navigator that has a feature to upload directly to EveryTrail. I also installed the EveryTrail app on my phone and was about to purchase a pro account.

Now, I have another account with AllTrails. I believe this one will stay around since it is run by National Geographic. Still not sure how much I will like it. EveryTrail had some nice features like guide creation. Wikiloc's interface has become dated and I have always had issues with adding photos with geo location metadata. They all have phone apps with various uses and the ability to record tracks with your phones GPS. I prefer to use Backcountry Navigator to record my tracks for a many reasons. The one that stands out the most is the ability to download NOAA charts to the phone so I can navigate when I do not have cell service. I still keep a chart on my deck along with a compass and a regular GPS but having a nautical chart on your phone that you can compare with your deck chart makes knowing your location and taking a bearing super simple.

So, what tech do you use for navigation and sharing your trails? Leave a comment ant let me know. I am always looking to test new apps and gadgets. 

If you know what happened to the EveryTrail site let me know. I can not find any information on the interwebs.

A track screenshot from Backcountry Navigator



No comments:

Post a Comment