Sunday, December 6, 2015

Got myself a fauxpro - SJCam SJ400 review

I like taking video when I kayak. I am not sure why. Mostly I end up with large amounts a very boring video. I started with an Oregon Scientific ATC3K then I got and ATC9K. They no longer make the ATC9K. My wife has a GoPro Hero3 Black and I considered a GoPro but I could not justify the price for something I was using to amuse myself. If I wanted to make professional video then maybe. So I did some research and found the SJ400. It is interesting how many knockoffs there are of this knockoff. I got the WiFi version for $80 the non WiFi version runs around $65.

There are many good comparison reviews on the internet. Just do a search. These are my opinions based on how I will use the camera.

First looks compared to the GoPro Hero3 Black.


The GoPro and SJ4000 are plastic bodied small cameras. The GoPro lens is extended a little ferther from the body. Both have a power button on the front and the button  on top to start recording or tack still photos.




The SJ4000 comes with a bilt in view screen which the GoPro does not have.




The water proof cases are similar but the SJ4000 comes with the case a part of the base package as does the GoPro Black edition.




The SJ4000 also comes with a bunch of mounting attachments. You can also use any of the GoPro or after market GoPro mounts.

So, not a big difference in size, looks or mounting options.

        SJ4000                                                              GoPro Hero3 Black
  • Records Full HD 1080p30 Video                        Records 4Kp15 / 2.7Kp30 / 1440p48 / 1080p60 / 960p100 / 720p120 fps
  • Captures 12 MP Still Photos                                Captures 12MP/ 30 fps Burst
  • Ultra-Wide 170° Lens                                          Wide Angle Lens
  • Camera Housing Waterproof to 100'                   131’/40m Waterproof Housing
  • Wi-Fi Remote Monitoring and Control (App)     Wi-Fi Remote and App
  • On-Board 1.5" LCD Screen
  • Single Shot and Self-Timer Time Laps                 Time Lapse mode
  • USB Streaming Webcam Function
  • Multiple Mounts Included

Check out some of the side by side video comparisons on the web.

Now here are my takes on the camera.

Video quality is not bad. A little on the blue side but that has an adjustment I have not tried. It was designed as a dash cam first with a waterproof housing for motor cycles. The sound is not existent in the waterproof housing so I turned it off. I don't really need it. The housing works well. I like the lock better than the one on the GoPro. Easy to use. The battery life is only about 2 hours max, I think it is probably a little less. Has some neat features like video branding with the time stamp.Easy to configure. 

Here are some unedited video samples without the proper date set.






In the video below i Smacked the camera with my paddle and then dunked it in the water as a test. It worked just fine.


Rolling with the camera. This is after I set the date and branding.


Low light footage of the quiver. Looks good to me.


Overall review, sturdy camera in the case with decent video quality. The audio is non existent in the waterproof case. It comes with a second back with vents. This may improve audio but would not work for me. For the price I am very happy with the camera. I am disappointed by the battery life. It's not like you can change it on the water easily. It is easy to use and I can turn it on and off and start and stop recording with my 3mill mittens, that is a plus. It was made to be a dash cam and has features like clipping at intervals and writing over earlier clips when the card is full. 

If you are looking for an inexpensive camera it is worth checking out. Just beware of the knockoffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment