Monday, May 18, 2015

I am certifiable or was that certified?

Welcome back readers and hello new readers.

If you have read my "What is this blog about and why another blog?" post, I state that I know squat about kayak except for taking some basic instruction classes. That has changed, sort of, I guess.

A couple weeks ago I took an IDW/ICE from Mike Aronoff. After a week of being put through our paces I came out of it as an ACA L3 Coastal Kayaking Instructor. If you know anything about Mike you understand that it was not an easy ordeal.

Now, I am not sure what I will do with it.

I have other skills that I use to earn a living and the pay is better than what I would make as a kayaking instructor. I stated before that I was once an AMGA Climbing instructor. I tried to make that work as a career but the money is just not there, at least where I live.  I managed to survive at it for 3 years but not at the level of lifestyle I had grown accustomed. It made a great part time job for 16 years and I loved the pro deals.

I will probably teach some classes on the weekends and keep my certification current and work toward L4 and L5 and maybe BCU but it is mostly for personal enrichment and not for a career. Maybe a second career after I retire or maybe open my own business one day.

So, I guess I can no longer claim ignorance about sea kayaking. I know a few things about it. My post are still informational and not instructional (well except the ones about boat repair). Mostly I am expressing thoughts and opinions. Please seek out instruction and practice the skills that will make your journey safe. And have fun.

Always have fun and don't take life to seriously. Remember, no one gets out alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment